Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pre-Nursing Student

(CNA class in Raleigh last week... knocking out a pre-req requirement)

Shock-er! This girl is going back to school... for nursing! Haha, that's right- apparently everyone saw it coming but me. :p

Growing up, I had people tell me I'd make a great nurse to which I'd just laugh with an attitude that said, "Thanks but I don't think I could handle all those needles."

So, nursing did pass through my brain but I didn't seriously begin considering it until this past May.

I graduated The Institute of Integrative Nutrition in March (loved it!) which led me to a cross-road... Take on more health coaching clients while continuing to work on my degree OR possibly something else....

I love the health care field. It must be in my "blood", pun-intended. LOL So the desperate journey of "deciding" which track of health care got thrown up in the air this past May. I'd had been dead set on Registered Dietitian since last fall which seemed to fit perfectly with this last year of nutrition school!

"No-- I am not switching tracks, God. I've got this covered!" said the fearful of the future me.

The decision process for nursing has been one of the most stressful and exciting things I've ever done in my life! I bought books on nursing, watched videos online, talked to dozens (literally!) of people who ares nurses themselves, researched schools, went and toured one of the top nursing programs in the state at MU, tried to talked myself about of it, and prayed.

Haha...

That's right, this process wasn't a crystal-clear decision I felt like I supposed to make, or maybe it was--- because I had such a hard time with it and couldn't shake off "feeling" that kept telling me I should consider the possibility.

I wrestled with this idea, like I often do when God is telling me he has something better for me than my own plans that are neatly laid out in my head. "No, God- I've been working towards becoming a Registered Dietitian this whole last year. You know I love food and the nutrients inside crazy things like bananas and walnuts-- hey! I just finished up a year long nutrition certification! Plus you didn't make me to be a quitter so I'm going to finish. I'm getting my BS in Food and Nutrition from University of Alabama and then applying for my internship, going to help lots of people and really love this job. I've done all the research. I'm good. But, thanks God!"

I didn't say those exact words, but with my "I've got this all figured out" attitude I think that's what I communicated which didn't leave me open to God's direction for a possible better fit for my life, gifts and what He wants me to do.

God tapped me on the shoulder, and led me through experiences until I was at the "Ok, Jesus- if you'll help me" moment.

Switching tracks, and taking the mental steps to gear up for nursing school has been extremely hard for me. Taking the mental steps to gear up for nursing school and realizing I may not have a life for the next 2-3 years scares me to death.

But, I'm not doing this in my own strength. Annnnd-- I have incredible friends and family that are supporting me!

So, this summer I've literally spent days just standing in line once I picked my school getting things in order! Haha, but all registered and good to go-- classes started on Monday. :)

Let's do this.

No comments: