Monday, February 25, 2013

Grilled Cheese Turned Gourmet (+ a little bit healthier)


Grilled cheese sandwiches are fun! Especially if you grew up as an all-American kid. :) But, for me - mom raised my siblings and I pretty health conscious so something like this was a treat! (Although I admit I didn't put spinach on mine back in the day . . . ) 

Adults tend to revert back to early developed habits and foods they ate in childhood. That's why I like this recipe so much! It's a taste from the past with a step towards the future. :) 

To make:
  • multi-grain or whole wheat bread slices
  • butter 
  • fresh spinach
  • tomato slices
Prepare just like you would a regular grilled cheese only layer on the extra ingredients that add some nutrient (i.e: spinach / tomato).

Enjoy!

15 comments:

Leslie said...

Yummie. I like the idea of adding veggies to the sandwich. Always forget about that... Found you via cupcakes n cashmere (see it works to leave your url!) Ha. I like your blog.

Unknown said...

After having a "gourmet" cheese sandwich, it's hard to go back to the original version. This is so much better!!
-Michelle @ EMB

Jana said...

I LOVE putting veggies in my grilled cheese! So yummy. :)

Robyn said...

Hey thanks for the comment!
I am a sucker for anything with spinach so this recipe will definitely be added to my meal planning Pinterest board!
http://twotimestoomany.blogspot.com/

LoveCaroline said...

This looks so good and healthy too! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

xo
Caroline

lovecarolineblog.blogspot.com

ABpetite said...

I want I want I WANNNTT Yum. BTW totally bought a juicer this weekned and thought of you while making my greeen juice this morning. Thank you for being a great example

kateprs said...

Ohmygoodness, this looks so delicious!!! Blasts from the past are just the best sometimes :)

Kate @ A Journey in Style

Addy said...

Mmm, this looks so good! I love adding veggies to grilled cheese; it makes it a health food in my book ;)

Chevron andLace said...

The only thing to make this better would be avacado! I made one a few weeks ago and it was probably one of the most amazing things I have ever consumed. Yum!

Sue // Chevron & Lace


Katherine - Real Food Runner said...

Ooh - I love the avocado idea! Need to try that one :)

SH said...

Looks SO good!!

Happy Monday!

Sheree
The Hartungs Blog
thehartungs.blogspot.ca

Ashley Barnhill said...

This looks so good! Great way to add some veggies in... I'll be trying it this weekend!

suzy homemaker said...

I agree about adding the avocado. I love grilled cheese with avocado. I also prefer sourdough because it is easier to digest. And it gives it a nice flavor.

jessgee83 said...

Yummo
http://fortheloveofpork.wordpress.com/

j0najum said...

Yummy,,I love the avocado idea! Need to try that one,it is so delicious in those picture...



http://www.rivieragrillny.com/