Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Homemade Lasagna for Dinner!



I hadn't made a homemade lasagna in what felt like forever until today! The perfect comfort food for a lovely fall day. :) I love how having friends over for dinner gives me the perfect excuse to make a special dish!

I prepped ahead yesterday by frying up the meat, making today a little easier. :-)


The layering station! I wanted to try something a bit different than the norm today so I used a beef/sausage combo as part of my meat mixture, going off this recipe as a guideline {click here}.

I doubled this recipe because the event this was for was quite the crowd! But, you can adjust the measurements to suit your needs, if you decide to try it. :)


I also made some light wheat rolls to go along side. Here they are gettin' ready to go in the oven!


The finished product! Light and fluffy, if I do say so myself. :) They're about 1/2 wheat flour & 1/2 white flour. If you're interested in the recipe, here's the link. Pretty much the only thing I changed was the white sugar for sucanat sugar.


I had a little extra dough on hand and had the brilliant idea of turning it into a pan of sweet rolls :P The filling consists of butter, cinnamon & honey w/ a shake of nutmeg and a few chopped pecans. Yum!


I had a nice green salad @ lunch topped w/ seasoned black beans a Bubbies pickle. :)


And, this was supper! I served the lasagna along side a large spinach/romaine salad and topped with lots of nutritious goodness: yellow bell pepper, sprouts & cherry tomatoes. Tried to get some color variety in there :P


Nothing quite like a bowl of candy corn to add the finishing touches to your decorations this time of year. :)


Dessert was freshly baked cookies (whole wheat & coconut sugar) w/ a scoop of chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Such a treat!

So, this evening's meal doesn't rank among the the healthiest I've ever made but I'm OK w/ that. :) Special occasions are just that - special. They're not everyday. It's what we do most of the time not occasionally that makes us up. I'm becoming convinced that the daily habits are life changing. After all, it's the little things that make up those big things - right?

It's a rest day for me workout wise. I'm sore from yesterday's squats & lunges. :P The guests just left, full & happy. The edifying conversation was stimulating and enjoyable for all. So thankful for good friends!

What are you thankful for today? Are you a lasagna lover, too? Comment and let me know!

3 comments:

Yo Momma Runs said...

I just want to stare at all of your posts because your pictures are always so freakin amazing! Love it! Love lasagna, and right now, I'm grateful for bedtime for my kids. I'm ready to relax!

Michelle @ www.movinitwithmichelle.com said...

OMG did you take these pics? YUM!

RunningJunkie said...

You are quite the cook/baker. It's only 8 AM and I am SO hungry looking at your food!

I do the same thing with my lasagna. Half spicy italian sausage, half lean ground beef. Something about italian sausage and tomato sauce just work so well together.

Candy corn is one of my favorite fall treats! I can't even keep it in my house.