Saturday, May 19, 2012

It's Pizza Time!

Thursday night was fun. In fact, this whole week has been great! The secret to staying fit while enjoying food? Moderation. It's the key. You don't have to label foods on the "no-no" list to reach your fitness goals. Fill your life with as many good choices as possible, and then, if there's the occasional slice of pizza you can relax and enjoy the moment, but just make sure it's not every moment of your life :) 


These little homemade pizzas are quick & easy, and they're the healthy version! In my book, pizza can't be but so healthy since it includes 3 hard to digest foods (wheat, cheese and meat), but there are some ways to improve it such as using wheat flour instead of white or going for the veggie version. 

Here's the dough recipe:
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 envelop active dry yeast
  • 2 cups (+) whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon honey granules (or sugar) 
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • pinch of salt

Recipe makes 1 disc. Proof the yeast in water. Mix flour, salt & sugar, optional: onion powder, garlic powder & parmesan cheese. Add yeast to flour mixture and mix together. Make your pizzas! Bake at 350 degrees until pizza is cooked. Really have fun with this. I'm doing my best to tell you what it would take to make it turn out, but if you feel it needs a little more of one ingredient or another that's fine. Just play with it until it's right. Hope you enjoy!

My workout on Thursday was a great experience! I enjoyed a 40 min workout DVD called burn & shape. It's called that for a reason :P Ooh, so fun to try something new! Actually, it's not a new DVD but I dug it out of the drawer and decided to go for it :) I also ran 2 miles and did some core workout. Does anyone else really love core work? I read a cute saying once that went like this, "I don't count my crunches until I start to feel the burn". he! 


Lunch on Friday consisted of a sprouted grain tortilla with delicious sesame garlic dressing and fresh lettuce & beans. I like it simple! 


Friday, burpees with squats and overhead presses were on the list, but I never got to them so I did them today :) Yes, it's hard, but you can do it at your level. Take breaks if you need to, but then come right back and do some more :) It's a great exercise to tone your whole body! 

Reasons to do burpees? #1, It's the ultimate full body workout. You pretty much work everything! #2, It's portable. All you need is yourself! #3, It's great for fat burning. Because you're using your whole body, you're strengthening, conditioning and challenging your body in more ways than a target muscle exercise would.

After a 40 min cardio/sculpt portion of Friday's workout, I ran 1.25 miles. I have to admit, I love working out, but I just plain feel better after a run even if it's not far. I'm so thankful that I started the Couch to 5K Plan last October (yes, I'm still very new at this) and that I kept going through the winter. I guess that's the great thing about training for a race during those chilly months-- you have to move! 

Last night, one of my friends was graduating so we went to that. The event was beautiful and Garret did a wonderful job with his speech and the whole ceremony was full of purpose and vision for the future. I'm thankful to have a community of friends where I am challenged and encouraged to stretch myself! There's is absolutely no substitute for fun with friends and good edifying conversation. {I'm sad I didn't get any pictures... I was too busy talking, connecting and soaking up all the fellowship :) } 

My lunch today was really good! I worked out with my sister (kickboxing!) this morning so I was craving something nutritious by 1 o'clock. It feels like this day is whizzing past! There's so much to do!!! I love days like this :) 

{My first experience with an orange tomato. Delightful!}

And, for a treat... I've been enjoying this with my family! 


I logged 3 miles today making my total weekly miles = 10 and a quarter.  It doesn't feel like I've run very much this week so I think going to need to make specific goals for next week to be sure I aim a little higher. How about you? What fitness goals do you have for next week?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

homemade pizza is always so delightful :)
yours looks like it came out beautifully!

glad to hear you had a great workout too!

Anonymous said...

How are the Ezekiel tortillas? I thought about getting some to try and I love the brand! I basically live on the Cinnamon Raisin cereal!

myberlinfashion said...

yummy!

Jasmin
http://www.my-berlin-fashion.com/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for following me,

your blog is very interesting and makes me super hungry :D

following you xxx