Monday, March 25, 2013

90/10 Rule


I ate cookie dough last night. :) I hadn't had some in a while and it was every bit as good as I remembered it! Plus, this was the super good kind - totally from scratch, white sugar, white flour, chocolate chips and all. :p 

It's taken me a lot of trial and error to figure out what healthy eating regime/diet to follow in this modern world but I love the 90/10 principle

What's that? It's so simple, really! Make healthy choices 90 % of the time and the other 10 % - eat what you want! 

I love it because it gives me the freedom to enjoy parties / events, and splurges with friends and family without making me feel like I'm doing something bad. It's like you can release and simply have fun in the moment because the goal is not to be perfect 100 % of the time (impossible, btw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 

What your 90 % looks like (or whatever your goal is) will look different from other people's diet so don't compare yourself. We are all so different! 

Your body is a machine (amazing!) so I encourage you to individualize your diet for what works for you and to eat for life. Stop listening to the hype- if you are fine with good quality dairy products by all means enjoy! But, if you're constantly fighting mucus you may want to look into laying off for a bit and see if things change and how you feel.

Listen. Your body is constantly sending you messages. :) 

I like to look at my body as a house. A house for my soul. You take care of your house (or car), right? Cleaning, replacing old boards, polishing, decorating, etc. Of course! How much more our bodies! We're not here forever peoples so let's be good stewards.  

Have you found a healthy balance with food? 

8 comments:

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I like the idea of eating healthy food most of the time and eating other foods in moderation. In fact, I was just thinking about making some chocolate chip cookies for this weekend!

Preshii the coily bombshell :) said...

I agree trying to eat healthy 100% will not happen. I mean I just don't think it's possible. Especially for a food lover like me.

Food is one of the best enjoyments of life and though I enjoy eating healthy, let's face it most of the best foods in life aren't healthy and I want to enjoy them every so often!

My rule is the 80/20 or 85/15 rule. Depends on the week lol. But at minimum I try to stick to eating healthy at least 80% of the time. :)

You're the 2nd blog today that has talked about chocolate chip cookies. Aww man now I might want one. Just one. lol.

Robyn said...

I do like that 90/10 rule, i don't totally portion out my week but I know that if i stay on track for most of the week, a dinner out friday night with the bf is not going to ruin me :) diets don't work for me if i feel that I NEVER can bend and eat something I want, like your cookie dough that I want right now hahah

Megan said...

I love the idea of the 90/10 rule. I'm not the type of person who can give things up completely. I love the occassional cookie or ice cream sundae. The problem is those things have become too common rather than being occassional in my life. I'm currently researching eating real food and cutting out processed. I want to slowly make the transition and I'll probably have to have a rule like eating real food 75% of the time.

kateprs said...

What a great strategy! I only wish I knew what 90/10% looked like! Who knows how much is "what I want"!

emi said...

i AGREE with this rule! and this picture made me hungry :)
just found you from the blog hop, now following! loving your blog! XO
welltraveledwife.com

6 Pack Momma said...

Loved reading this! I even vlogged about the topic and mentioned that you inspired my video along with some of your ideas that I heartily agree with.

Kathy said...

since changing my perspective about food (it's fuel that my body needs to grow and get stronger), i've been able to cut out all the junk food out of my life and i don't eat any of it. to be honest, i haven't had any desserts, soda, chocolate etc etc in well over a year nor do i crave it.

however, my views are pretty strict and i encourage everyone to figure out what works for *them*; figure out eating patterns that are mostly healthy that helps them stay the course and stay healthy. eating a dessert here or there or one bad meal will not derail things!