Monday, February 25, 2013

Grilled Cheese Turned Gourmet (+ a little bit healthier)


Grilled cheese sandwiches are fun! Especially if you grew up as an all-American kid. :) But, for me - mom raised my siblings and I pretty health conscious so something like this was a treat! (Although I admit I didn't put spinach on mine back in the day . . . ) 

Adults tend to revert back to early developed habits and foods they ate in childhood. That's why I like this recipe so much! It's a taste from the past with a step towards the future. :) 

To make:
  • multi-grain or whole wheat bread slices
  • butter 
  • fresh spinach
  • tomato slices
Prepare just like you would a regular grilled cheese only layer on the extra ingredients that add some nutrient (i.e: spinach / tomato).

Enjoy!

14 comments:

Leslie said...

Yummie. I like the idea of adding veggies to the sandwich. Always forget about that... Found you via cupcakes n cashmere (see it works to leave your url!) Ha. I like your blog.

Unknown said...

After having a "gourmet" cheese sandwich, it's hard to go back to the original version. This is so much better!!
-Michelle @ EMB

Jana said...

I LOVE putting veggies in my grilled cheese! So yummy. :)

Robyn said...

Hey thanks for the comment!
I am a sucker for anything with spinach so this recipe will definitely be added to my meal planning Pinterest board!
http://twotimestoomany.blogspot.com/

Caroline Davies said...

This looks so good and healthy too! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

xo
Caroline

lovecarolineblog.blogspot.com

Dash Interiors said...

I want I want I WANNNTT Yum. BTW totally bought a juicer this weekned and thought of you while making my greeen juice this morning. Thank you for being a great example

kate @ a journey in style said...

Ohmygoodness, this looks so delicious!!! Blasts from the past are just the best sometimes :)

Kate @ A Journey in Style

Addy said...

Mmm, this looks so good! I love adding veggies to grilled cheese; it makes it a health food in my book ;)

Susan Joy said...

The only thing to make this better would be avacado! I made one a few weeks ago and it was probably one of the most amazing things I have ever consumed. Yum!

Sue // Chevron & Lace


Katherine said...

Ooh - I love the avocado idea! Need to try that one :)

Ashley Barnhill said...

This looks so good! Great way to add some veggies in... I'll be trying it this weekend!

suzyhomemaker said...

I agree about adding the avocado. I love grilled cheese with avocado. I also prefer sourdough because it is easier to digest. And it gives it a nice flavor.

Anonymous said...

Yummo
http://fortheloveofpork.wordpress.com/

j0najum said...

Yummy,,I love the avocado idea! Need to try that one,it is so delicious in those picture...



http://www.rivieragrillny.com/