Thursday, August 2, 2012

Drying Fresh Herbs


I love fresh food, but there's something special about fresh herbs. The aromatics are so calming, refreshing and rejuvenating - all in one!


I recently learned from a local farmer how to use up all that fresh basil that's overtaking the backyard :) It's simple. You can use a dehydrator, if you want, but there's an even easier method that is way less time consuming. I'm all for that!

Just cut off your plant at the base, throw it in a paper bag and let it sit in a dark room or closet until it's dry! That's it! Then, pick out the "bad" stuff and store it in an airtight container. This is a great economical option if you cook with a lot of fresh herbs and spices :0)


My delicious afternoon apple :) I don't normally buy organic apples, although I probably should! Check out this link to see the "dirty dozen".


New side dish for supper last night :0) Tex mex rice cakes!


These little babies were really yummy! Here's the link to the recipe.

That's all I have for ya in the way of pictures for today. It's been a relatively calm day :) I'm projecting a fun-filled weekend - lots going on! To kick it off, we're doing a game night with friends Friday night and then bright and early Saturday morning is race time!!! {Oh, and plus I have a 3-page speech and outline due for Monday morning - better finish that up ASAP!} What are your weekend plans?

2 comments:

Ellen B Cookery said...

I usually just cut off the herbs at the root and tie the bottom so I can hang them upside down to dry, but I sure do like this method much better. Thanks so much for the tip.

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing the paper bag tip. I have a lot of basil I need to dry. I don't have a dehydrator, and I've used the microwave before, but it makes the house smell pretty funky.